Society has taught us from a young age that on February 14, it is the day that you tell that special person that you love them and shower them with gifts of candy and flowers which is all true; but then there are those who are brave enough and decide to propose to the love of their life on this special day
Congratulations on deciding that you want to spend the rest of your life with the person that you love, but there are couple of things that you should keep in mind especially if you are proposing on this high pressure day or another day for that matter.
Here are couple of do’s and don’ts to keep in mind when proposing:
– Do make sure that you and your significant other have had the marriage conversation; there is nothing more embarrassing then popping the question and your loved one being stunned into silence.
– Do take the time to plan the proposal, you can still make the proposal special, spontaneous and meaningful (give us a call if you need some help with the planning 🙂 )
– Do set a budget on how much money you want to spend on the proposal; remember that after you significant other says “YES” you have wedding to pay for so keep the budget in line!
– Do tell a friend about the proposal, it is always good to let at least one friend know, especially if you want to capture the moment either through photographs or video that can then be used later on in your wedding.
– Do speak from your heart, take the time to prepare what you are going to say, you don’t have to memorize it word for word but know what sentiments you want to express.
– Do gauge the timing and find the right moment; you will know when the time is right to pop the question.
– Don’t read too much into their reaction, a proposal is a moment for someone and it is a lot to take in.
– Don’t stress about the ring! remember the most important thing is that the ring represents your relationship.
– Don’t worry about the perfection of the proposal; not everything in life can be perfect.
– Don’t do it in a public place, things tend to go wrong with these type of proposals
– Don’t hide the ring in food, your significant other may end up swallowing the ring and the night will take a different turn.
To help you out we have created a Pinterest Board to help you with some last minute ideas and options for your proposal:
Until next time happy planning
The Event Boss
P.S. If you want to see examples of two weddings where we helped plan the proposals check out these two videos: