In an earlier blog, we mentioned 8 tips for hiring a caterer, building off of that we wanted to give you some questions that you should ask when meeting with any caterer before you hire one. It is important that you ask as many questions as you can, to ensure that the company is the right fit for both your vision and your event:
01. Find out how long they have been in business. Are wedding events their specialty?
02. What are the menu options? Are they willing to incorporate your own unique suggestions or a family recipe if needed?
03. Do they offer taste testing? (This is a must before hiring a caterer. They probably have specific dates in which the menu sampling occurs. Inquire about these times when you will be able to sample their menu fare.)
04. Have they catered a past wedding event at the reception facility you have chosen? Are they familiar with the facility?
05. Do they carry a health permit?
06. Do they serve liquor and/or other beverages as well? If yes, do they have a liquor license?
07. Is the wedding cake included or may you bring one in from an outside source? Is there a cake-cutting fee?
08. Is there a corkage fee?
09. Are linens, china, stemware, utensils, barware, tables and chairs provided? Are they an additional fee?
10. Do they provide special menu options for guests with dietary restrictions, if needed?
11. Is a children’s menu available? (A wise choice if you are inviting children. The children’s menu prices are often a fraction of the regular price, therefore offering up a savings for you.)
12. Do they offer ‘vendor meals’, if needed? (For the photographer, videographer, etc.)
13. Does the price include the service of the wait staff? How much wait staff would be needed for your event?
14. How will the staff be attired on your wedding day?
15. What kind of deposit is required to reserve their services?
16. When is the balance due?
17. When is the final head count required?
18. What is their cancellation policy?
19. Are there overtime or travel fees?
20. Is there a separate set-up and clean-up fee?
21. Are there any other fees that are not included?
Until next time happy planning,
Your vision, your experience.